MELINDA HOPKINS, RPA, FMA
- My family moved to Charlotte from Atlanta, Georgia when I was about 9 months old. Not quite a native but say I am since there aren't many residents that are actually from Charlotte. I have worked in the Property Management industry for over 20-years, starting in Facilities and have moved back and forth between facility management and property management over this period.
- I've been blessed with so many in my life, naming one is impossible. Every place I've spent time, whether personal or professional, there has always been someone who I admired and learned from. In property management, I would say that I've had the privilege of working with some very intelligent and strong women who taught me so much about this industry. On a personal level, one co-worker many years ago taught me to always look for the positive in people and situations.
- Never stop learning. Every day provides an opportunity to learn something new, gain new insights to a situation being worked thru, or discover a better way to handle the next "crises". Each day is a new experience in this industry. Listen to those around you, ask questions and never hesitate to ask for help or advice.
- Keep a level head and be flexible. Your day will never go as planned, the schedule changes constantly, and there is always a real or imagined fire to put out. Being able to stay calm and work thru whatever has been thrown at you is critical to your success (and sanity?).
- The relationships built with everyone. You can develop long-term relationships with co-workers, tenants, vendors, etc. It is a challenging career with many ups and downs but I love the fact that no two days are ever the same.
- While still new in the industry, I was encouraged to join BOMA to learn more about the industry and earn an RPA, and later FMA designations.
Favorite thing about Charlotte:
- It is a beautiful city that enjoys all the seasons!