Building Technician 1
Under general supervision, performs a variety of duties at the skilled level to maintain and repair buildings, structures. Assignments include carpentry, painting, lock-smith, plumbing, electrical, and related work as required.
This first level classification in the Building Maintenance Worker series reports to Building Operations Supervisor and may receive direction from Building Technicians II. Incumbents may independently perform routine carpentry, painting, lighting, and plumbing maintenance and repair work, and assist Building Technicians II in the repair and reconfiguring of buildings and building components. Assignments, objectives, work methods, and sequence of steps are explained in general terms. Checks are integrated into work processes and/or reviews are frequent enough to ensure compliance with instructions.
Assigned duties and responsibilities require travel throughout the City in response to requests for the repair and alteration of buildings or equipment. This work is frequently performed on uneven, sloping, slippery and unpaved surfaces, on ladders, in crawl spaces, indoors and outdoors, with exposure to extremes in noise, temperature, weather and humidity and in proximity to electricity, mechanical equipment, gasses, fumes, dusts, and chemicals.
- Performs rough and finish maintenance carpentry and plastering on commercial and residential buildings.
- Installs wood shelving.
- Repairs and replaces doors and building hardware
- Prepares surfaces for painting.
- Use brushes, rollers, and spray equipment, paints, metal primers and lacquers to paint and wallpaper a variety of interior and exterior surfaces.
- Inspects, installs, troubleshoots and repairs plumbing fixtures components and supply waste lines, including re-building flush valves, sink faucets and valves.
- Replaces light bulbs and changes ballasts
- Changes filters
- Duties do not include refrigerant recovery.
- Builds, assembles, transports, installs, and/or repairs facility furnishings and fixtures.
- Cleans and maintains tools, equipment, materials and work sites.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of: generally accepted construction and repair procedures and materials used in the areas of carpentry, painting, plumbing, electrical, and related trades/crafts; safe work practices; first aid.
Skill to: operate hand and power tools commonly used in building maintenance; make use of proper lifting techniques.
Incumbents must possess the physical and mental capacity to work under the conditions described in this document and to perform the duties required by their assigned position. Education/Experience Any combination of education and/or experience equivalent to completion of high school and two years of progressively responsible experience in maintenance related field.
How To Apply
Please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org